Ho-Ho-Kus PD Firearms Directive
There has been substantial change to Firearms law in the State of NJ recently. Below you will find information for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (“FPIC”), Permits to Purchase, and Permits to Carry Firearms. Please be patient since some of the mechanisms in the process have not been fully completed at this time. We will continue to process applications in the hope of having them ready when the remaining processes have been completed. Below are the new required items and information pertaining to the same.
Effective July 5, 2022, N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3 was amended to require applicants who apply for FPICs or permits to purchase handguns to provide proof of firearms training. This training requirement applies to pending applications and permits.
Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards ("FPIC") and Permit to Purchase Applicants
All FPICs and Permits to Purchase must be done through the FARS Application Procedures as described below.
Step 1: Visit this website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
Step 2: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smart phone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members. The Ho-Ho-Kus Police Department ORI # is NJ0022800. You WILL NOT be able to complete the FARS online application without the proper ORI #.
If you have been arrested or charged with a criminal offense in the past that has not been expunged, you will need to provide a certified disposition letter from each respective court covering the incident(s).
Step 3: Remit payment for your FPIC card and or permit(s). Your application cannot be processed until you have paid. The payment is Non-refundable and is required to be made prior to the completion of the background per N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.4. At this time cash, check, or money orders are the only acceptable methods of payment. These should be made out to “Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus” and a money order must include the applicant’s name. The current state fees are $5 for an initial FID card and $2 for each permit. Payment can be dropped off at the Ho-Ho-Kus Police Department anytime. Cash payments must be exact and change cannot be given at the Police Department.
Any questions, issues, or complaints should be addressed via email to [email protected].
Instructions for Permit to Carry Applicants
EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 22, 2022
Firearms fees have increased. Fees are now.
- $25 per permit.
- $50 Initial firearm identification card.
- $150 Carry permit
- $50 money order brought to the Records Department made out to the State of New Jersey.
*Total $200 in two separate transactions.
These fees are set by NJ Statute and not by the Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus nor the Ho-Ho-Kus Police Department.
- All references must know the applicant for a minimum of three (3) years prior to the date of the application.
- All original copies must be notarized.
- Submit four (4) color passport size photographs with your application package.
- Complete the Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP-66 (Rev. 01/15).
- Written proof of qualification, training, and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor. (see training requirements below).
- All armored car guard applications shall be submitted to the appropriate New Jersey State Police Barracks. All others (Non-Armored car guards) shall be submitted to the law enforcement agency where the applicant resides.
- All out of state applicants must submit to the closest New Jersey State Police Barracks (not to include New Jersey State Police Barracks located on toll roads) to where they are geographically located.
Training Requirements for Carry Permits
Applicants for permits to carry handguns must demonstrate thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns or be denied the ability to carry. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns must be evidenced by either:
These alternative requirements must be accompanied and validated by certifications of the appropriate instructor(s). Applicants must also provide any other available and accurate information which may evidence proficiency in the safe handling and use of firearms, including: most recent handgun qualification scores and whether applicants used the handgun(s) intended to be qualified in the qualification, and proof of ownership of the handgun(s); courses attended in the safe handling and use of firearms; and extent of knowledge, however gained, of this State’s laws pertaining to the use of force in the defense of person and property.
*If you are in need of further assistance email the police department for guidance.
All the respective forms are located on the NJSP Website: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml